Natural Inflammation Remedies for Athletes
Inflammation is a natural bodily response to aggravation, exertion and trauma. While this is unpleasant for anybody, it's an especially frustrating experience for athletes. Athletes rely on the prime functioning of their bodies every day, and inflammation can be a serious roadblock to achieving their goals.
If you're an athlete suffering from inflammation, you may be looking for a natural remedy to experience relief. At ZYN, we know there's power in natural healing methods, and we're here to share our knowledge of natural remedies. You can experience relief from your inflammation, and you may only need items found in your fridge, pantry or spice cabinet.
Why Are Natural Inflammation Remedies Important for Athletes?
Most athletes experience acute, or short-term, inflammation at various times throughout their tenure in the sport or activity. The body responds to physical stress and exertion by sending blood to the affected area, increasing its white blood cell count. These white blood cells fight to repair the area, making it stronger than it was before. When you exercise certain parts of your body, you may experience this inflammation for a few days. It's a good sort of pain that tells you you're improving your body.
Then there's a different, more serious kind of inflammation — chronic inflammation. This form of inflammation is undesirable, as it does not signify the body getting stronger. Chronic inflammation is the body's response to something going wrong within your body. The following conditions can result in chronic inflammation:
- Autoimmune conditions
- Certain infectious diseases
- Athlete's foot
- Sports injuries
Think of chronic inflammation as acute inflammation that returns day after day with varying intensities. For athletes, this is more than uncomfortable — it's enough to bring athletic progress to a halt. That's where inflammatory remedies come into play. There are three types of inflammation remedies available:
- Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: These remedies are powerful and are often successful at reducing inflammation, but they can have serious side effects. Most sports do not permit athletes to use certain steroids.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): NSAIDs are the most prescribed form of anti-inflammatory medications for athletes. They have a high success rate but often include uncomfortable abdominal side effects. NSAIDs can also prohibit proper healing in inflamed areas, prolonging the issue.
- Natural inflammation remedies: You can also find inflammation remedies in nature. They grow from the ground and exist in animal food products. At the right dose, natural remedies can help ease inflammation with minimal or no side effects.
As an athlete, you need to be careful about what you put in your body. The wrong supplement may trigger a positive drug test or cause side effects that are worse than the reason you tried the remedy in the first place. You need to be at the top of your game. That's why you should consider natural inflammation remedies for pain relief.
What Foods Naturally Fight Inflammation?
Many foods and beverages contain natural anti-inflammatory properties. If you're an athlete experiencing chronic inflammation, an exciting new diet could await you. Keep in mind that results may take a few weeks to notice. When it comes to natural remedies, you need to give your body time to build up the active ingredients in your system. Soon, you may experience your inflammation decrease or disappear, allowing you to get back in action.
Here are some of the foods that contain natural anti-inflammatory properties:
- Some seasonings and spices: Various herbs have inflammation-fighting properties. These include turmeric, oregano, cinnamon, black pepper and garlic.
- Fish: Fish is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can reduce the level of inflammatory proteins in your body.
- Fiber: Fiber is another natural way to reduce the proteins in your body that trigger inflammation. Eating fiber in food offers even more benefits than taking it as a supplement.
- Fruits and vegetables: The antioxidants in colorful fruits and vegetables are part of a healthy immune system. This can help reduce chronic inflammation.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are healthy snacks that contain fiber and monosaturated fats, which can both fight inflammation.
- Beans: Choose beans if you're looking for an inexpensive, healthy way to lower inflammation. They contain antioxidants, fiber, protein, folic acid, magnesium, zinc, iron and potassium, along with other anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Olive oil: The inflammation-fighting compounds in olive oil like monosaturated fats and antioxidants can help lower pain and inflammation.
How to Adjust Your Diet to Fight Inflammation
Adding natural inflammation-fighting foods into your diet can go a long way in helping you feel relief. Adjusting your diet takes a bit more than adding certain food items. There are three steps to achieving an anti-inflammatory diet:
- Understand how certain foods work together to create your own home remedies.
- Add anti-inflammatory foods, like the ones listed above, to your diet.
- Remove inflammatory food from your diet like salt, fried foods and excessive alcohol.
At ZYN, our favorite example of natural foods working together to treat inflammation is turmeric and black pepper. Studies have shown that turmeric is one of the most potent natural anti-inflammatory foods around. This is thanks to its active ingredient, curcumin, which gives turmeric its signature bright yellow appearance. Curcumin is an incredible compound, and when combined with black pepper, you can take its anti-inflammatory effects to the next level.
Black pepper contains the active ingredient piperine. Piperine gives black pepper its rich flavor, but it is also a natural drug metabolizer. This means that it can enhance the bioavailability of other active ingredients ingested with it. By combining the piperine of black pepper with the curcumin of turmeric, you can create your own powerful home remedies that could give you relief from your chronic inflammation. Try adding both of these natural ingredients to your diet to create your own powerful home remedies for inflammation.
ZYN Beverages: Refreshment With Benefits
At ZYN, our goal is to get to the root of the matter by bringing natural healing remedies to a busy world. Our drinks provide essential nutrients not readily available in Western processed foods. These delicious beverages contain 200 mg of curcumin along with essential piperine to help your body absorb it. This way, you can enjoy the ancient healing properties of turmeric in a satisfying drink.
Enjoy food as medicine with ZYN beverages. Check out all our delicious flavors, and try one for yourself today!